Monday, January 20, 2014

Glimpses Out the Tuk-Tuk Window


          When I first arrived in India, the bright oranges, yellows, reds, golds, pinks, blues and greens stood out to me as I passed by women walking down the road, draped in the sari, worn traditionally by all married women.  The contrast of the blast of color against a backdrop of grey streets and cement buildings was enough to fix my gaze.  The common, everyday wear of the Indian woman appears to me as an elegant piece of fashion we might reserve for special events in my country; this fact, that I felt like it was Halloween, also fixed my gaze. 
            Although I am still mesmerized by the beauty of Indian women in their saris, I realize that it has become much more commonplace to me.  Today on the ride home from our tour of the Pink City palace, we passed by several spotless white horses adorned with beautiful saddles intricately made of gems and cloth of all colors that covered most of the horse’s back and sides.  Atop the horse sat a well-groomed man dressed in a striking purple suit with a matching turban.  The pair was slowly making their way to a wedding – the horse would provide the entrance for the groom. 
            I love horses, and under normal conditions, when I see a horse, I stop to take it in, in all its powerful glory.  Under normal conditions, upon seeing this royal white horse and her princely rider, dressed to the T for their wedding appearance, I would have stopped to take in the combination of power and beauty and wondered why these two were so ornately decorated.  Today however, I did no double take as we passed by. 
            It suddenly became apparent that my horizon of expectations about reality had expanded tremendously in the past month.  Every day, some new sight, some new experience, pushes the limit of what I thought possible for this life, this world.  Goats walking along the side of the road are not such a spectacle after seeing cows meandering on the street amidst the auto traffic, laying in the center divide, let out to pasture on the garbage heaps.  These cows suddenly become normal after you see a camel pulling a rickshaw next to the tuk-tuks and motorbikes, not just once, but every time you hit the streets.  The incredible size of the camel shrinks drastically when you pass an elephant, its trunk beautifully painted in pastel green, pink and blue, rider sitting in lotus position on top, on their way from… on their way to… 
            These sights push the limits of my imagination to new heights, stretching and pulling my brain, reorienting it to the unimaginable possibilities of life. 

            A United States reality:  getting yelled at for riding my bicycle on the shoulder of the road, going the opposite way of the auto traffic.  Not wanting to disturb the peace, I make my way over to the right side of the road.  Life goes on.

            An Indian reality: tuk-tuks, cars, bikes, and pedestrians sharing the road with goats, cows, horses, camels and elephants going in all directions.  Life goes on.

            The beauty of travel:  the exposition of different and new realities to the traveler. 
           
            The challenge of travel:  returning to a previous reality, knowing that other ways are possible; feeling that other ways might work better.  Returning to a previous reality that feels constricting. 

A traveler returned home Left,
Somewhere in between Existing
In one reality, But
Aware of other realities, Wanting
To blend them To
Create his ideal reality Left
Unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment